What the garage door opener does
Just like an engine makes a car move, your garage door motor is what powers every single lift and lower. The motor is responsible for driving a trolley along a rail attached to the roof of your garage, which is what pulls the garage door up and moves it down in a smooth, controlled way.
A motor can come in several power capacities and sizes and offer a whole spectrum of quality. While the lifespan of any motor will vary, they typically last around 10-15 years.
While most often we’ll see homeowners replace motors because they stop working, some occasionally choose to upgrade their motor to a newer, more advanced model. The technology has improved significantly over the years, with quieter, more efficient operation and connectivity to your phone for easy use.
Signs that your garage door motor should be replaced
When a garage door cable has snapped or is malfunctioning, you might notice:
- The motor isn’t responding or only works intermittently.
- You notice more noise when it’s in operation.
- The opening speed has slowed significantly or it closes rapidly.
- The motor is noticeably vibrating while it’s operating.
What to do if your garage door motor isn’t working
First, double check that your motor is plugged in. If it is, but not responding when you activate it, it may be time to replace it. We can do an inspection on your motor to confirm that it’s the issue and, if it is, then walk you through your options.
When we arrive, our garage technician will:
- Visually inspect the motor, as well as complete a complimentary inspection on your entire garage door system to make sure everything else is in good working order.
- Remove and dispose of the old motor.
- Make recommendations on a replacement motor for your garage door, based on the required power capacity and your budget.
- Install the new motor and complete testing to ensure it’s been installed properly and is calibrated with the rest of your system.
7ft Chamberlain 1/2 HP
Model # C2405C
Chain drive, 2 remotes, wall button, wifi compatible (can open your garage door with your phone). Price includes part and labour, installation, adjustment, programming, and wiring.
7ft Craftsman 1/2 HP
Belt drive, 2 remotes, wall button, keypad, wifi compatible (can open your garage door with your phone). Price includes part and labour, installation, adjustment, programming, and wiring.
7ft Chamberlain 3/4 HP
Belt drive super quiet, 2 remotes, wall button, wifi compatible (can open your garage door with your phone). Price includes part and labour, installation, adjustment, programming, and wiring.
Complimentary Performance Inspection
A no-charge performance inspection with every service
We want to make sure your garage is in top working order to avoid any unexpected issues. When we complete any service or maintenance call, we’ll do a full inspection of your garage door system, including: Rollers, Springs, Brackets, Cables, Hinges, Motor / Opening System, Sensors, Weather Stripping & Bottom Seal Rubber