What garage door weather stripping does
Weather stripping is usually a rubber of vinyl strip that runs along the edges of your garage door opening. Its purpose is to seal any openings along the frame of the garage, and for good reason! Weather stripping is important for a few reasons:
- It prevents rain from getting into your garage and damaging its contents.
- It seals any openings where rodents can enter.
- It increases the energy efficiency of your garage and home by keeping the cold air out during our cold Winter months.
Signs that your weather stripping needs replacing
Some things to look for if your weather stripping needs to be replaced:
- It appears dry and brittle, with small cracks or chips.
- Sections are missing or have come loose.
- Puddles of water appear inside the garage door.
- Noticeable drafts are present around the garage door.
What to do if your weather stripping needs to be replaced
Continuing to operate your garage door shouldn’t cause an immediate issue, but it’s best not to wait too long to address any problems with your weather stripping. And while some choose to replace their weather stripping on their own, a professional will know which materials are the best to use and has the experience to install it in an optimal way to maximize the seal.
When we arrive, our garage technician will:
- Visually inspect the weather stripping, as well as complete a complimentary inspection on your entire garage door system to make sure everything else is in good working order.
- Remove and dispose of the old weather stripping.
- Make recommendations on replacement weather stripping for your garage door, based on the best materials within your budget.
- Install the new weather stripping and check for proper sealing.
Complimentary Performance Inspection
A no-charge performance inspection with every service
We want to make sure your garage is in top working order to avoid any unexpected issues. When we complete any service or maintenance call, we’ll do a full inspection of your garage door system, including: Rollers, Springs, Brackets, Cables, Hinges, Motor / Opening System, Sensors, Weather Stripping & Bottom Seal Rubber